Hello to my Manic Followers! Can you believe we are already at the end of January? It went by so fast! And still no snow. This is my monthly check in where I tell you what I’ve accomplished, what I’ve learned and how all that’s changed my plans for the next month. You can also keep up with me on Facebook and Twitter, head on over and follow me. So hang on, it’s been a slow ride this month.
What I’ve accomplished:
- I finished book 2 of Divorced White Female: Dishonest Men. It needs to be critiqued by my amazing critique partner and then edited but the majority of the work on it is done.
- I took part in WIPpet Wednesday but I’m not happy with the way I came up with my excerpts and I’m changing my approach for February. I felt like my excerpts were too much alike though I get the most comments on my WIPpet posts. Thanks to everyone who reads them and comments! It’s great to get the interaction!
- I read and reviewed four books! I also started two others, but I had to put them down. I won’t recommend a book I don’t love and they were so poorly written, in my opinion, that I couldn’t waste my time and offer a good review. They were both Indie books and I won’t ding an Indie author with a bad review just because it doesn’t meet my standards. I know, they might need to be told to hire an editor, but I’m no expert and maybe someone else likes their books. Anyway, my policy is to stop reading and move on. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, what I do know is that I can’t waste my time reading books that don’t amaze me. And I won’t waste your time reviewing books I didn’t love.
- The first four chapters of Divorced White Female: Back in the Game have been published! I haven’t had great traffic on the site but I also haven’t spent a ton of time promoting it.
- I participated in most, not all, of the #authorconfessions game run by J.M. Sullivan on Twitter. It had questions to answer every day about yourself as an author and since I don’t work on Saturday or Sunday I didn’t always remember to go back Monday morning and answer those questions.
- I showed up everyday in the #5amwritersclub on Twitter and wrote from 5am to 8am.
What I learned:
- I gleaned a ton of writing and editing ideas from reading 2K to 10K by Rachel Aaron.
- I learned that mean people don’t care that they are being mean.
- I learned how hard it is to send out a book to Beta’s and wait for their responses. I mean, I knew, sort of, that it was hard to show your work when you aren’t in the habit of it. I have critique partners and I listen to them and consider their suggestions. But waiting to hear about an entire book? It’s killing me. And I haven’t said a word to them. Aren’t you proud of me?
What I didn’t do:
- I subscribed a lot of blogs as a result of the NanoHop hosted by Raimey Gallant and I wanted to pass a few I loved on to you. Though most of my subscribers are from said Hop and already subscribed to them, but maybe you’ve overlooked one or two. Right now I’m just reading them on my phone and barely keeping up with them. I need to sit down, at my computer, and really read them, and take notes. Hopefully, I will get to that in February.
My plans for February:
For February I will keep pounding away at the keyboard. I have two books I intend to write this month, with a word goal of 60k, roughly 30K each. I will write Divorced White Female: Finding Myself and All of Me. And I will keep up with my reviews and my WIPpet Wednesday posts. I’m thinking of starting my own Twitter # game. I have to work out the details of it and then I’ll announce it. I will also add a page to my blog for my latest WIP, All of Me and its surrounding series The Poly Chronicles. Finally, I’m working on figuring out a give-away for my subscribers. I have no idea how to do one, or how to fund it, but I will figure it out soon!
I’d like to tell you about All of Me. It’s book one in a new universe I’m writing called The Poly Chronicles Collection. The Judgment Series, the first in the collection, will consist of four books; All of Me, And Him as Well, Both of Us and To Have and to Hold. Some of those titles are working titles and some are set. My plan is to have the first two books finished, edited and published by fall this year with the remaining two released soon after.
The Poly Chronicles Collection will be several series of erotic romance novellas that focus on the polyamorous lifestyle. Each series will address a pitfall that polyamory faces. The first series The Judgment Series will spotlight the misunderstandings and preconceived notions many polyamorous people face when they come out poly. It will also feature many erotic sex scenes, twosomes, threesomes, and foursomes even! As a result the page, and some promotional information will be hosted on my After Dark site which is age restricted with a pop-up. This keeps my site family friendly and protects me from accusations.
That’s about it for January. I think that’s enough. Stick around with me and watch me grow this year! I love connecting with people, find me on Facebook or Twitter. And stay tuned as I learn to do give-aways!